Sunday 8 April 2012

The Hunger Games and Why I'm Out of the Loop Even With Chocolate

Before The Hunger Games came out in movie theaters across the galaxy, I had no idea about the books, even though my son had read them all at school.   Normally, I catch wind of things, you know, like Harry Potter, pretty quickly, so I knew it had to be a relatively new series.  I did the wikipedia thing and found out that the first book was published in 2008.  Books to movies are quick these days.

I read a few reviews and found that THG is simply another take on the exploration of dystopian societies.  Well, whatever, I decided to go check the movie out, especially since the young adult novel wouldn't give me a preconceived bias of how the characters should be.

I'm glad I went.  It's from a youth's perspective;  Katniss, played by Jennifer Lawrence, is the main character, who deals with 23 other children who must fight each other to the death in an expansive arena.  It's to remind to the peoples of the districts that the Capitol bosses are king, while providing entertainment for the Capitol's rich at the same time.  I enjoyed Lawrence in X-Men: First Class so I figured she'd be good here too.

Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, Lenny Kravitz as Cinna and Donald Sutherland as President Snow provided more attraction for me too.

So off we went, to the Mall, with Jones Soda and fair trade chocolate, Camino Almonds and Raisins.  Although our local theater closed down back in January, we're still not used to spending so much more money or wasting a lot of time to get out to see a movie, so we don't go as often.

We went early and it turned out to be a good thing, since it sold out fast.  Sitting on the floor, waiting to be let into the theater was a strange experience--it made me think that THG was some sort of spectacular story.

Once settled into our seats with the smuggled goodies and cooled popcorn, we took it in.   I enjoyed the action.  Of course, the suspension of disbelief needed to be doubled with such things like Katniss getting hurt and using super powerful healing medicine, or the cat-like creatures that came out of the woods to attack them near the end.

Her relationship with Josh Hutercherson's Peeta, which Haymitch forced her to play up to the crowd, seemed forced to the point that she was uncomfortable most of the time.  I didn't buy it, but I think I was expected to.

I wanted to see more of Sutherland.  What they gave us of Woody made up for that, though.  And so did the Camino chocolate.

Ultimately, I enjoyed the movie and felt for the main characters.  As an adult, I'm not sure why there were huge lineups for it, but maybe the craze and excitement comes from younger generations. The actors did a great job of expressing teenage emotions and anxieties.  I really felt sad about Rue, played by Amandla Stenberg.

Looks like I need to read the books now! Hopefully I'll have enough chocolate to last to the end.

Ratings:

The Hunger Games:  7.5 / 10  A nice story presented with solid acting and visuals, but nowhere near as great as all the hype made it out to be.

Camino Almonds and Raisins:  8.5 / 10  Mmm, nice fair trade dark chocolate with just the right amount of almonds and raisins.  The only complaint here is single serving size, which obviously needs to be doubled.



No comments:

Post a Comment